Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Use your powers for good


As I head downstairs at 7am I can hear my son rustling around in the kitchen, however, from the noise coming from the kitchen I'm pretty sure he's not walking.  As I round the bend at the bottom of the stairs I see him on rollerblades, shirtless, spraying febreze all over the kitchen. When I try to piece together the thought process that ultimately led to this activity I realize that I will never figure it out because his mind works at a different speed and occasionally in a different reality than mine.  Every morning I have to remind him that it's going to take a few minutes for me to catch up to where he is in the half hour he's been up before me.  I know there are many parents out there that can relate to this scene.  My son is 9 years old and was diagnosed with the alphabet soup of  ADHD, generalized anxiety and sensory processing disorder several years ago, however, to us he has always been just who he is...and we love him that way.   Has he faced numerous challenges in the last 9 years....certainly!  Do we struggle with him as parents because he is a "little more" than most kids....certainly!  Is our mission to navigate life beside him trying to bring out his best qualities and strengthen or work around the areas where he struggles...definitely!  This blog will highlight some of the areas where we've struggled and succeeded as well as some of our failures and some of the resources and tools we've discovered along the way that have helped us all be the best that we can be....our own superme!  I know many people out there struggle with similar difficulties trying to showcase their strengths and overcome their struggles with some pretty basic activities of daily living...eating, sleeping, organizing, making and keeping friends and I hope we can share strategies and tools that will help all of us be our best and find our superpowers!

No comments:

Post a Comment