Monday, January 31, 2011

Getting used to being a joiner...

I have never thought of myself as much of a "joiner".  Perhaps I have some of my son's social skills struggles because from an early age I have found the whole "group" setting difficult to manage.  I always feel like I don't quite fit in, or I worry that I'm speaking out of turn or speaking too much or that I won't get that sense of "belonging" that everyone else feels.   I visualize myself as that character on the reality shows that everyone ostracizes or who just doesn't mesh with the group.   In practice this probably isn't the case but that feeling scares me so much it keeps me from joining.  The rebellious, underdog part of me probably doesn't want to feel like I'm drinking the same juice as everyone else and probably derives some pleasure from feeling "a little different".  

Ultimately it's not always healthy to be on the outside.  As a matter of fact it can be quite lonely.  Recently I've been reminded of how important it is to have a setting or group where you can share your experiences can be very rewarding.  I am currently participating in CHADDs online Parent to Parent Classes -  we are on week 2.   After the first webinar (an online lecture forum where everyone can participate) there was clearly so much in common between participants and the need to share resources, experiences and get things "off their chest"  was palpable.   The distance a webinar creates (vs. a face to face class) perhaps makes it easier to share more freely.  Although I have not participated in my local CHADD meetings, this joining at a distance feels right for me.

For parents struggling with their children who have ADHD or a comorbid disorder I highly recommend the CHADD parent to parent classes.  So far it has been an excellent experience and I get the sense that the 20 parents I am sharing this experience with will be in touch for a long time!  Two thumbs up for CHADD's parent to parent classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment